Welcome note

A girl with a mind, a woman with modesty, a lady with classthese are the confessions of a hijabi girl in a crazy world...

E-mail: ihijabi@gmail.com | Facebook: facebook.com/ihijabi | Instagram: ihijabi_blog

Monday, 27 September 2010

The Essence of Knowledge


I've been thinking of writing about what I study at Uni, why I chose it, why even though it is stressful I love it and how it has increased my love for Allah swt. As usual things kept getting in the way and I have finally found a little bit of time in my hectic schedule to write it up.


“Seek knowledge from the cradle to the grave”- Muhammad PBUH

Ever since I was a little girl I have always been curious. Curious about the world we live in the stars, the sky, the sea, flowers, animals, people and the list can go on forever. This curiosity always encouraged me to learn more, to find out more about the things around me. But before I truly began to understand Islam and before I started to really appreciate Allah SWT I never really valued the essence of knowledge.

In college I met some really amazing people alhamdulillah, these people along with the entire ISoc began to increase my interest in Islam. The more I learnt about the dunya and the Akhira the more I realised that this life is not going to be forever. At this point I decided that whichever career path I was going to choose it was going to be for the sake of Allah. Not to have lots of money or for a good name, but purely for the sake of humanity and Allah. This led me to wanting to study medicine even more than I wanted to before.

The idea that when you save the life of one human being it is as though you are saving the whole of humanity really appealed to me. I followed my dream of studying medicine for a year into college but at the end of my first year at college I realised that it wasn't for me. I am a very family orientated person I loved the idea of medicine but by the end of the year I wasn't too sure that I would be able to hack it. I also started to think about the future, could I really fit studying and my work around my religion and not the other way round. I give credit to all the hijabi Muslimah's who do study or have studied medicine I admire your determination and courage, but I honestly don't know how you do it. When I started to think well into my future I began to think about how I wouldn't see my family as much because I'd be too stuck in my studies. I wouldn't be able to celebrate 3id every year or go to family gatherings or weddings all the time because of studies or being on call.I realised that maybe at that point in time medicine wasn't for me.

After this I was left wondering what to do, I did want to go to University and study something which had a clear career path at the end of it not some random degree to pass 3 years then do a job that has nothing to do with that degree. Whilst sitting and waiting to see my careers advisor I started to flick through a book and came across Radiography. It was like the page was glowing (you know one of those halo moments in movies). I went in and spoke to my advisor who told me about the course and which uni's I could study at. I knew my parents wouldn't allow me to live on campus and I also wanted to stay in London so I applied to the only three 3 universities that did my course as everyone else applied for the maximum of 5.

An unexpected and unavoidable turn of events during my A-levels contributed to me not doing as well as I could have, but I still did well enough to get into all the universities that I had applied for Alhamdulillah.

I enrolled in September with all the worries, and fears of a fresher starting university, but now looking back I'm glad I chose Radiography. 

In the space of a year I learnt so much, from knowing nothing to knowing the names of nearly every bone in the body, knowing how bone is formed, the healing process of broken bones and soooo much more. To every single thing I learnt all I could think was SubhanAllah, He created us so perfectly. When we had to tediously learn not only the names of all the bones but every bump and groove that served a vital purpose I just remember thinking 'wow if it that bump wasn't there that ligament would not have been able to attach to that bone and we wouldn't have been able to walk for example'

We learnt about the different systems in the human body, the reproductive system and the formation of cells all of which I would have been totally bored by if I didn't keep thinking look at Allah's wonderful creation. Because of Islam I really appreciated all the things I was learning. Islam does not need to be proven with scientific facts rather science is understood with the help of Islam and the Quran. The body has to be at a certain temperature for all bodily functions to be maintained and the balance of hormones and chemicals in our bodies has to be just right for us to survive. There is no doubt Allah is our Creator and our Sustainer.

Everyday as I walk around the hospital I think how blessed I am to be a part of a team that works for the good of humanity. I took x-rays of a huge variety of different people from different backgrounds and ages, from new born babies to old and frail men and women. Every single day Islam played an even bigger part in my life as I began to truly appreciate Allah's mercy, compassion, power and beauty all characteristics which He demonstrates through His creation.

I believe this is the reason knowledge plays such a huge part in Islam. Knowledge doesn't just mean how many chapters of the Quran you can memorise or how many hadeeths you know by heart it is also knowledge of the world around you. Knowledge is given great importance because in the end this is one of the main things that brings you closer to Allah.

Ask yourself why most of the greatest scientists, mathematicians, philosophers, physicists etc are Muslim? (The Greeks and other people who we are all taught about at school actually took a lot of their information from people of knowledge in the Muslim world see this link  http://www.1001inventions.com/ for more information)

Allah taught us things 1400 years ago through the revelation of the Quran, some things which scientists have only just discovered recently. Ask yourself how much more do you need to see before you truly believe without an ounce of doubt in your mind that Allah and Allah alone is the creator of everything you see around you.


"...(Here) indeed are Signs for the people of intellect" Noble Quran

1 comment:

  1. Subhannallah, this is so amazing and so true.
    And I am so like you sister that i'm giving up on medicine because it just doesn't give enough time for my deen. May Allah guide us all closer to Him and make us amoung those inhabitants of Jannat-ul-firdous, ameen.

    ReplyDelete