Welcome note

A girl with a mind, a woman with modesty, a lady with classthese are the confessions of a hijabi girl in a crazy world...

E-mail: ihijabi@gmail.com | Facebook: facebook.com/ihijabi | Instagram: ihijabi_blog

Sunday, 20 March 2011

Abaya Review- SHUKR Islamic clothing


A couple of months ago I ordered an abaya from SHUKR an online islamic clothing store. I had been on their website before but didn't like the abaya's because they were more like long coats and it's just not the way I wear my abaya (I don't tuck my scarf inside as in the pictures on SHUKR) I had ordered a cape dress in the colour navy blue. I spent aggggeess trying to figure out the measurements with a tape measure and just couldn't understand the measurements. But I ordered one in size medium anyway (I know I'm so dumb all my clothes are size small I don't know what made me get a medium) I got a call from Shukr early Monday morning telling me that they don't have that colour in stock and if I would like a different colour so I opted for Aubergine purple. The delivery came quite quickly and I tried on the abaya/dress, yhp it was waay too big. The material was rayon and my grandmother who was there at the time told me that it would get creased very easily, I was really disappointed, but at least I could return it.

I went online to try and find out how to return it and it was simple enough. The only thing I didn't like about SHUKR was customer service system, if you want to contact someone you can't just send them an e-mail, you have to submit a ticket with your query and they e-mail you back with the response. If you want to ask something else you have to go on their website and submit another 'ticket' and wait again for them to respond. This was the same procedure as the return, I was told to send the Item back to them and give them my tracking number. If I wanted an exchange then I would get the money back as store credit, which meant I could use that credit for something else (postage and packaging costs were also covered), however, if I wanted a refund the postage and packaging costs will be deducted. So I returned it and got store credit.

I waited a couple of months to see if they bought any new stock, as I didn't really like the other abaya/dresses that they had and the ones I did like they didn't have the size or colours I wanted. Then just last week I saw a jersey cowl neck abaya which caught my eye I measured my self again and anxiously I placed the order. I had to pay £25 on top of my store credit as this abaya was more expensive than the dress I had bought before.

Just so you know SHUKR clothing is really expensive, but I thought I needed to treat myself as I hadn't bought a new abaya in a really long time, and I love the cowl neck style (it's similar to the snood style abaya I designed). The abaya arrived again quite quickly and alhamdulillah, it fit just right! The material was really heavy when I picked it up though because it feels like a really long jumper, but it is sooooooo comfortable. It probably isn't suitable for the summer because it is quite thick, but it's perfect for this weather.

I wore it to uni that day and had loads of people ask me where I bought it from, so that is why I thought I had to do a review on it. (=

Here are some pictures of the abaya...

Cowl neck is basically the draping fabric around the neck
I don't think you're supposed to wear it on your head, but I liked the way it looked.
It's a modest fitting abaya and the material is just suuuuper comfy (like one of those snuggie blankets lol)
It has a pocket on both sides with a pouch inside the pocket for your phone/ipod etc.
I've worn it so many times now and I've only had it for like a week, love it to bits, the only thing I'm worried about is wearing too much as I'm afraid the material might bubble.

The abaya was definitely worth the money because it's made with superb quality and inshaAllah it will last me a long time (=

Here's the link for SHUKR UK if you want to check out their items:

Items such as tunic tops, long skirts and scarves are available as well as clothing for men.

So I've come to the end of the review, remember to let me know what you think of SHUKR and its clothes inshaAllah, what were your experiences like with SHUKR? Will you be buying from SHUKR in the future after this review? Share your thoughts below or on the Facebook page.

Jazakum Allahu khairan for reading
Ma'salaama!

14 comments:

  1. I've had my eye on it for a few weeks now....just can't decide on the color :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It love your abaya! Thanks for the review.

    Yup, ordering online can be a little tricky. I'm hesistant to do so but I might give it a try.

    Do you order a size small for this abaya?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're welcome (=

    My height is 5"3(ish) and I'm a UK size 8 so the small size was perfect for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have ordered clothes from Shukr twice and the quality Masya Allah is fabulous!! I can't praise them enough! They are rather pricey though so I just wait for their sales! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am online shoppers and i buy allot of stuff from ebay and different internet sites. The worst online experience was with Shukr. I always give a second chance but in both times I had terrible experience and Wa Allah I won’t recommend them to anyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell us about your experience, what did they do wrong? How can they improve? Inshallah it will help other people too

      Delete
  6. Salaam Anonymous, please email me at jaafar@ShukrClothing.com and let me know what problems you faced. We will address them immediately and give you a £20 ($30) gift certificate as way of apology for the inconvenience caused.
    Thanks
    Wassalam
    Jaafar Malik
    Managing Partner
    SHUKR

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've heard a lot about Shukr Clothing, would surely give it a try. By the way, i've been ordering my clothes from EastEssence from past many years and i must say their customer support services are amazing. They respond quickly to any of your queries. Also their collection of clothes are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We ordered items of the value of £200 on Tuesday 14th July and were told that delivery by Thursday is GUARANTEED. It is now SATURDAY and we have NOT RECEIVED ANYTHING.

    NO ANSWER ON THIER PHONE NUMBER OR REPLIES TO OUR COUNTLESS VOICEMAILS.
    THIS IS LOOKING LIKE A MASSIVE SCAM COMPANY!!

    We will be contacting: ACTION FRAUD, TRADING STANDARDS and BBC’S WATCHDOG & WILL BE CONTACTING THE POLICE IF NECESSARY.

    You manage to take our money and update your Facebook page regularly but not pick up your company phone number or get back to people who have left you voicemails.

    What a ridiculous and unprofessional company.

    PLEASE AVOID THIS COMPANY AT ALL COSTS!!
    SAVE YOU MONEY AND BUY ELSEWHERE!!

    If Shukr want to sort this mess out before I take action, my order number is 32690.
    I expect a prompt response now I have their attention!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a review for something I bought from shukr online not run/sponsored/watched by shukr so your message here is pointless please contact them directly and not spam my blog. Many thanks.

      Delete
    2. Please stay away from this company. God forbid, if you have to return an item...you'll get the run around; not to mention that they’ll keep charging you shipping charges until you give up and go away disgusted! PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY AT ALL COST!!!

      Delete
  9. I have been a customer of Shukr for over 10 years now. The first time I ordered was in 2002/2003. I've been through the ups and downs with the company (more ups than downs). I feel I am a very loyal customer.

    I don't really think Shukr is expensive when you really look at what you are getting. They don't pay slave labor, the craftsmanship and material is SUPERB. I have been through a lot during these years as a customer and I have never been rich by any means (I actually went being a college student, worker, marriage, housewife, divorce, homelessness, getting out of that situation, beginning a lovely career, getting remarried). The quality of all of my shukr purchases have really shown the test of time and withstood whatever was given to them...these are not like clothes bought at Walmart/Asda or the local souk. Pilling is minimal if at all. Though Shukr keeps up with trends the nature of the clothing is by and far timeless. Just be trendy with your hijab/jewelry/purse if you want to, you'll save more money in the long run too.

    Now, if you are somebody who is not used to NATURAL fibers...well then, either learn about them and fall in love or move on (though now sometimes Shukr carries items made from "easy care" fabrics - you can find them by searching through the categories). Must Muslims (heck, anyone alive since the '70s) seem to be used to synthetics (they have their positives...and negatives...which you would notice more depending on the climate you lived in). I will admit there was a learning curve for me with Shukr clothing but I have learned to take better care of ALL my clothes and now they ALL last much longer (and I feel I look respectable (and feel like a princess to boot!).

    Imho, Shukr was a bit better when it was still producing out of Syria (instead of Jordan as they have been several years now). In fact, the only time I got a poorly made items was my first purchase since they moved production. It was only one item in the package (a maymuna top that I am still waiting for them to bring back!). All the buttons were VERY loose and the button holes were falling apart (not from wear, just poorly sewn). It seems quality control fell through that time however I just fixed the button holes and buttons myself ....yes, even though I paid for quality, the shirt just fit me so perfectly I couldn't send it back (they were already out of the style in my size).

    About shipping....I won't lie, I prefer the days when Shukr shipped from the US (where I live). At different times after a certain amount spent you could get free shipping/free hijabs etc. Now, there is a flat fee and yes, because they are shipping out of Jordan you must pay it again on returns.

    Have I ever returned anything? Once, back in the day when it was slightly easier. Since then I have wanted to return 3 items - two were completely my own fault. I actually have the items now and plant to donate them to charity or a group for new Muslimas inshaAllah. I only just remembered while writing this that I once belonged to such a group and the clothing I got did wonders for me. It is so hard to start off after you convert. So, I'm not looking to discuss any good deeds...just thought that maybe I would add that and it could help another sister in a similar situation one day. Sure, I could use my money back (the last time items that I ordered the wrong size by mistake for were only ordered last week) but I really think somebody else could use them so much more than I could use that money, no matter what other items out there are tempting me...

    ReplyDelete
  10. *** NOT RECOMMENDED AT ALL ***
    stay away from them; this is my worst ever experience for Online purchase during the past 8 years;
    You are charged a TAX, and then you will get charged the customs by the courrier!!
    and once you open the bag and see the invoice; it is less than half what you paid; obviously, they are escaping from Tax paying; and if you decided to return back one item then you will be refunded the Item price (and not the tax you have paid!!!!!); it is a very suspicious way of doing online business!!
    tried to contact them multiple times, No answers about the partial-refund and complete ignorance!!

    ***** STAY AWAY **** NOT RECOMMENDED *****

    ReplyDelete