Welcome note

A girl with a mind, a woman with modesty, a lady with classthese are the confessions of a hijabi girl in a crazy world...

E-mail: ihijabi@gmail.com | Facebook: facebook.com/ihijabi | Instagram: ihijabi_blog

Wednesday, 23 March 2011

Maybe she's born with it...maybe it's...just make-up? [Make-up review]



Assalaamu alaikkum girlies,

I bought some new make up recently so I thought I'd do a quick review on them (=
I don't buy loooads of expensive make up some stuff is branded others are drug store products, I haven't bought all the at once they have accumulated over a couple of months

Just some friendly advice from one sister to another: Make-up should be worn in a subtle way so as not to attract attention when out and about. Extravagant make-up is all well and good for sister only parties, it should not be worn in front of non-mahram men.

SO lets begin. [Click on the images to enlarge them]

If you've read my 5 beauty must have's post you will know that I love my Maybelline pure foundation mineral powder, great coverage and leaves your skin looking flawless without your skin feeling too clogged up. Please remember...Your wudhu will not work if you are wearing liquid foundation or an oil based foundation because the water doesn't reach your skin unless you remove the foundation and then make wudhu....therefore mineral powder foundations are ideal, they're also kinder to your skin. The colour I wear is 73 Dune as this is best for my skin tone.

The first thing I bought was a M.A.C prep + prime eye in the colour medium. This is to wear as a base under your eye shadow, so that your eye shadow sticks and the colour comes out better on your eyes. You only have to use a little and lightly coat your eyelids with it. yes MAC is expensive but this should last quite a long time as you only have to use a little tiny bit.

Next is the MAC prep + prime loose transparent finishing powder. This powder is as it says transparent (looks white in the pot but is clear when you put it on). This is just to set your foundation and again give your skin a flawless look. I bought it mainly because I am prone to oily skin and I hate having a shiny nose and forehead in pictures so this does actually prevent my skin looking oily (I think). You can wear this on top of your foundation or on its own, again it's MAC so it's expensive but I don't wear it all the time.

I also bought some Rimmel London products. In boots they had a 3 for 2 offer and I wanted to buy some new eye shadows so I bought the Glam'Eyes Quad eye shadow in the shades 019 Sun Safari and 021 State of Grace. The Sun Safari was supposed to be a more day time subtle one and the state of grace was for parties (to be honest I just really wanted a dark purple eye shadow). But I was kind of disappointed with these eye shadows, they're not as vibrant as I thought they would be, they look a bit 'watered down' )=

I actually have an old eye shadow palette from H&M (I never knew they did make up either, this was a while a go and I think it was an Oxford street H&M that I was just browsing in when I found it) I bought 2 the first palette is called 'Into the Night' and has the colours white, light silver, grey and black. And the second was shades of green turquoise and blue but I lost it during my cousins wedding. Anyway these eye shadows are actually really good and vibrant, I've had it for a while because I don't really wear eye shadow. The point I'm trying to make is if you use the black eye shadow from this palette and then wear the purple from the Rimmel London palette on top, the dark purple colour comes out better.

I got a Rimmel London Exaggerate black liquid eye liner for free in the 3 for 2 offer, which was pretty good because I was running out of eye-liner. The brush is thin and very sturdy, great for applying the eye-liner accurately, and great for me because I apply the liner very thin and close to my lashes as my eyes are quite small.

Next is the Maxfactor Flawless Perfection Blush in the colour 235 Chestnut. when I tried this on my hand it looked quite good because you only have to use a small amount to get good colour. But I didn't realise it was a little glittery, so again I don't wear it much if at all and I'll only probably wear it to parties. The brush applicator that comes with it is rubbish because it's so small and to hard so when you put it on your face you just have red lines on your cheeks as it doesn't blend the blusher well. The advice for this would probably be to use a very small amount and use a blusher brush to apply it.

I also bought Maybelline's Falsies Volum' Express [waterproof] mascara, after I first bought it I hated it because although it says it's clump free it DOES clump your lashes together. Before that I used maxfactor masterpiece max which was super for separating out lashes so I think that's why I didn't like this one. However, I think the first time I used it I didn't use it properly (it's a curved/ spoon brush and the concave side is supposed to be closest to your lashes), I have recently used it and it has grown on me, the trick is to not use too much because when you start using it too excessively it clumps your lashes together. I use it after curling my lashes and don't apply the mascara to the roots of my lashes but lightly to the ends. It does extend the look of your lashes (but doesn't make them look like false lashes, which I guess isn't such a bad thing when you don't want to look too over the top with your make-up).

The final thing I'm going to write about are some make-up brushes from The Body Shop. The first is a slanted brush, this was given to me as a gift from a friend of mine who works at the body shop in Oxford street. I don't think I've actually mastered how to use this brush, apparently you can use it to apply eye shadow as an eye-liner by wetting the brush first putting some eye shadow on it and applying it close to your lashes, so it's basically for accurate application of eye shadow. The second brush I have is an eye shadow blender brush, this is quite a good brush and it does blend very well. The body shop also have an eye shadow brush which is pretty much the same as the blender brush so I think you could just get away with a blender brush. To use this brush put the on the eye shadow palette, swirl it around in a circular motion, tap the excess off and then apply to your eye lid by patting it onto your eye, to blend two colours move the brush in a circular motion between the two colours. The body shop is known for its brushes so I'd defo recommend you get them from there (also they're not too expensive)

I don't buy make-up removers any more (especially the wet wipe ones) because they dry out and dry my skin out too. As I've said in the 'beauty must haves' post Johnson's baby lotion is the best for removing make-up. Put some baby lotion on tissue or cotton wool (be generous), then put it on your face and gently wipe away the make-up. It works wonders even on waterproof mascara. After you've removed the make-up wash your face and see how refreshing and soft your skin feels.

6 comments:

  1. Sister, how about whudu and makup of eyes?
    mascara waterproof isnt good choice( I think)
    I use now maskara Kanebo 38 which I can clean with warm water, so no problem with making whudu.
    Can you comment it?
    Dzazaki Allhau ghajran for your review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right about that, I didn't realise that it was waterproof before I bought it, so yh you do have to remove it before making wudhu. I usually make wudhu before putting my make up on, but obviously if I have to make it again it would need to come off. I haven't heard of the mascara Kanebo 38, might have to look into it, is it good?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very happy I stumble across your blog :)

    Keep up the great work (the makeup/abaya reviews, etc)

    Quick question: I notice you design abayas. Do you sew them yourself and if so what specific sewing machine do you use?

    Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww I'm glad you like it Alhamdulillah.

    With regards to my designs...I wish I could! But no I don't sew them (couldn't sew to save my life lol) which is why I need a tailor to make my designs for me iA. So I apologise but I know nothing about sewing machines either )=

    Do you sew?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Then we are the exact opposite :)

    I can sew, BUT can't draw to save my life LOL

    I'm in the process of making my own clothes (abayas and skirts specifically). The designs are all in my head and not sketched on paper.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sister MaryamW could you e-mail me at ihijabi@gmail.com please, I'm hoping to make you an offer with regards to you being able to sew and me being able to draw. It'll be a really good offer, I promise iA ;o)

    ReplyDelete